Moving is a Breeze with Corrigan Moving
Prior to Listing Your Home
What is a realtor’s favorite term? Declutter! While listing your house, your realtor can give you tips for staging and making your space look sale-ready. The following are helpful tips from homeowners and how Corrigan Moving can support!
- Boxes for decluttering! Are you aware that Corrigan customers can receive free used boxes when scheduling their move*? If available, our customers can acquire various sized boxes at no charge. Corrigan’s offices also have an assortment of moving product for purchase, such as bubble wrap, packing paper and tape. Begin decluttering and packing before your realtor takes your house photos to make your house most desirable in the pictures. Several customers reach out to Corrigan and reserve a move date before listing their house for this reason. Dates can be changed once your home is under contract, so take advantage of as many perks as you’re able!
- Is your garage a mess? Wardrobe boxes can help! Wardrobe boxes are large and tall, perfect for handling bulky things. You can leave the top of the wardrobe box open to organize and store long handled yard tools, sports equipment, and children’s toys. This will make your garage appear and larger with minimal effort! Click here for more about wardrobe boxes.
- Fix your walls like a professional. If you have small nail holes or painted walls that need touched up, be sure to do so prior to your real-estate pictures. Needing to match paint colors? With a small knife (be careful!), carefully remove a quarter size hole from the top layer of paint. It’s best to do this from an unnoticeable area, like behind furniture or a low corner. Taking that small paint swatch to your local hardware store or paint shop, where they are likely to match your paint color precisely. With a drywall patch kit, touch up your holes and then paint with your perfectly matched touch up paint. It will look good as new! Here is a good demonstration of how to get the perfect paint sample.
Once your home is on the market, you’ll spend time away to allow others walk through and visualize themselves living there. Many homeowners who have used Corrigan Moving have shared tips to make frequent trips away during showings easier.
- Pack a suitcase. Many homeowners want to have their valuables or personal documents secure. Many customers have found packing a small suitcase with these items to be an easy way to grab and go during a showing.
- Consider a local pet daycare. Dogs and cats will also require a place to stay during showings. Finding a local doggy daycare or daily pet care location is a great way to keep your animals happy and safe.
- Entertain the kiddos! Parents know getting children out the door can be a small undertaking. Packing a bag with games, small toys or art supplies is a great way to keep them entertained and happy when away from home.
- Free, free, free! Discover free ways to pass time during showings. When showings are planned back-to-back, you could find yourself away for hours at a time. Visiting your local library, parks or farmers markets are free and easy ways to pass time. If you’re moving nearby, consider booking a guided tour throughout your new city. Even if you are familiar with your new town, you might be surprised by learning new and noteworthy history!
Bravo! Once your home is under contract, the true work begins. Providing you have not contacted Corrigan Moving yet for an in-home or virtual estimate, now’s the time! Your local sales representative will develop a custom moving quote based on the services you’re looking for. Below are some things to consider prior to your move consultation.
- Elect who’s packing. Corrigan Moving offers full packing service. We also offer packing on a smaller scale, such as boxing up only mattresses, china or fragile items. Decide whether there’s anything you would like Corrigan to pack or if you will handle this yourself before your move consultant arrives. For more on packing yourself, click here.
- Decide what is you are moving. Building a plan for items to move ahead of your move survey is essential to acquiring an accurate estimate. Our sales representative will go room by room throughout your home in order to get a thorough and detailed inventory to accurately estimate the scope of your relocation. Your move inventory can always be changed, however you will want to have an understanding of what items you prefer to have handled by Corrigan.
- Select donation locations. For those items you want to donate, investigate local thrift stores and secondhand shops. Many provide free pickup services for donated goods, but these can be booked weeks ahead. Plan ahead and schedule a donation pickup prior to the move date. Corrigan supports Habitat for Humanity, who has several locations that offer free donation pick up.
- Research what can and cannot be moved. Moving companies cannot transport items such as chemicals, gasoline containers or anything caustic (a full list of prohibited items can be found here). Your city might have resources or a local return drive where they’ll receive hazardous items and electronics to be properly disposed of. Waste Management has additional information for properly disposing your hazardous household items.
New Home Sweet Home
You’ve done it! It’s your first evening in your new house. Where do you begin in the field of boxes? Here are some suggestions to make your first night in the new house a fun and enjoyable transition for everyone.
- Pack bedding in suitcases. The one thing you want to do following a long move day is search for your bedding. Packing fresh sheets and bedding in a suitcase will make them unchallenging to find to make the bed when you’re about to hit the sheets.
- Pack an “open first” box. A box full of essentials will make the first night a walk in the park. Suggested items include, might be paper towels and plates, plastic utensils, bar soap and toilet paper. Including a small new activity, like a puzzle or coloring book for kids is a terrific way to keep them entertained as you are settling in. Do not forget a new toy or treats for Whiskers and Fido!
- Order in! Your first dinner in your new house is one to celebrate. Start making memories by ordering in from a local restaurant and enjoy looking into new places to dine.
- Walk in your new neighborhood. You have earned a break! Taking a walk around your new neighborhood is a great way to take a mental break, meet new neighbors and explore your new area.
Corrigan is more than a moving company. We are your relocation team from beginning to end. If moving locally, cross-country or internationally, Corrigan Moving is able to move you. Contact us soon!
*Booked moves only. No cash value. Free used boxes limited to availability of the local Corrigan Moving office. Your sales representative or move coordinator can provide additional details.